Can't Find What You're Looking For? Search Here!

Thursday 20 September 2012

Charity at Kampung Gun


A huge part of my growing up was spent dividing my time between school, reading a lot of Enid Blyton books, playing with the neighbours' kids, making my dad buy me countless toys that I later destroyed because I wanted another toy, throwing tantrums because I didn't get to go to the fast-food restaurant that I wanted to go to.
To say that I was spoiled would be the understatement of the century. 

With the children of Kampung Gun 
32 years has come and gone. I'm older now and I'd like to think that I'm a little bit wiser. I've taken up more responsibilities as a young adult trying to survive in this world. I've met friends, I've made enemies but the one thing I learned was that no matter friend or foe, one must appreciate the lessons learned in gaining them.
Our recent Malaysia Day hike to the waterfalls wasn't just about the falls. It was also about giving back to those who were less fortunate. I have the opportunity to join a group of hikers who, out of the kindness of their hearts, bought books and stationary, hairbands and hairclips; things which we take for granted everyday, for the children of Kampung Gun.

The children and their colouring books and stationary
On the windy late afternoon in Kampung Gun, our group of hikers arrived at the house of the village chief after our hike to the Mureh Waterfalls. Boxes of stationary and books, hairbands, hairclips and keychains for kids were taken out of boxes to be given to the children. As we were putting everything together, the village chief invited all the children of the village to his house. They waited eagerly as we packed the favours into each eco-friendly bags.

I had the opportunity to witness and participate in one of the most heart-warming event in my life. Amidst the chatter and organized chaos (we were totally unprepared), we finally managed to get everything done, with every item in their separate bags, we even got the kids to line up in lines!

Me helping my friends with the hairclips and keychains

They even let me give away some of them! 

One of our sponsors giving a book/stationary set away  
Books, colouring pencils, sharpeners, pencils, erasers and colourful rulers for everyone. Keychains for the boys and hairbands and hairclips for the girls.

I wondered if the books and stationary were of any use to them, knowing that in this part of the world, learning how to cultivate and live off the land would substantially trump learning how to read and write but the look on the faces of the children, just their smiles alone, I am truly certain that even if we did not help them learn, we at least brought some happiness to them.

Even their mothers got hairbands! yay! 


1 comment:

  1. Need advice about the best universities in USA and canada? visit topuniversitys.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete